Its All Snow in Wallington and Carshalton – a guide to safely using portable heaters
What freezing cold week it has been. I can’t remember the last time we had snow like this in Wallington and Carshalton. Despite the weather we have managed to keep all our appointments this week. We have also attended a few emergency jobs where families have been left with out heating due to an electrical fault. I’m proud to say all faults were found and heat was restored!
I’ve noticed over the cold snap that quite a few homes have been using additional portable electric heaters. Using a portable heater to stay warm is a popular alternative to centrally heating the whole of your home. A customer in Sutton was using 4 additional portable heaters and it was causing the fuseboard to trip, make sure you dont overload your circuits.
Did you know…
Heaters are responsible for 4% of accidental house fires each year, as well as being responsible for a higher percentage of fatalities and serious injuries per incident compared to other items.
Most of these fires are caused by people making basic mistakes that could easily be avoided, including knocking heaters over which is easily done, particularly if you have young children and pets running around.
Elderly people and children are particularly at risk, so when you are making sure elderly relatives and neighbours are warm, or your children are playing, follow our simple tips to make sure that they are safe.
Portable Heater Safety Tips
- Put your heater on a level surface, well away from anything that could knock it over
- Make sure your heater is at least a metre away from combustible materials, such as paper, furniture or curtains. Never use it to dry your clothes!
- Never leave your heater unattended whilst in use or while you are asleep
- Never power a heater from an extension lead – they can easily be overloaded and cause fires
- Regularly inspect your heater for damage and deterioration. If it isn’t in good condition, don’t use it!
- Avoid second hand heaters. Make sure you buy from recognised manufacturers and retailers.
Stay safe in the snow and roll on Spring!
If you have any questions relating to this topic or electrics in general then please email Anthony@wandle-elec.co.uk or call 020 8914 8297.